What says comfort and down-home cookin’ like a warm apple pie?! Like many people, I think my mom makes the best pies! So of course I learned from her, and make them ‘like mom does’.
When I was 12, my parents bought a bakery from our Preacher’s wife. I worked in that bakery every summer from age 12 till I married. (at age 19!) I hated it, quite frankly. But it definitely gave me experience in baking. I soon realized that I enjoyed making pies more than most other things, so I was the pie-maker for the last 3-4 summers that I worked there. We made anywhere from 20-40 pies a week, depending on the market.
I have had several requests for my apple pie filling recipe, so today I thought I would share mine with you all.
First you peel the apples. Core them, slice or dice, as you desire. Put them in a big kettle – with enough room to do some serious stirring. This filling can splatter! Add sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, and water. Simmer for 5-10 min, depending on how soft you like your apples.
When the apples are softened, pour the Clear-jell mixture into the apples in a thin stream, stirring the apples quickly. The Clear-jell starts to set very quickly, so keep stirring and stirring as you slowly pour the Clear-jell in. As the filling starts to thicken, it will start to bubble up and splatter. These splatters are hot! I recommend using an oven mitt on the hand you are stirring with. You can turn the heat to low, too.
When the Clear-jell is all mixed in, and the filling has returned to a boil, (bubbling) remove from heat and cool.
Pour into prepared pie crust and bake.
Having trouble finding Clear-Jell? I buy mine from Amazon:
Hoosier Hill Farm Clear Jel, 1.5 Lbs. It lasts a long time.
- 3 lbs apples, peel, core, slice
- Water to nearly cover apples in pan
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 TBL butter
- Juice of one lemon, or 3 TBL ReaLemon(can omit if apples are very tart.)
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 TBL Clear-Jell
- ½ cup cold water
- Peel, core and slice apples.
- Place apples in a large pan and add water till apples are nearly covered.
- Add butter, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Cook 5-10 minutes, or till apples are softened. (not mushy!)
- Mix ½ cup cold water and Clear-JEll.
- Pour Clear-Jell slowly into the apples, while stirring apples quickly.
- Bring apple filling mix to a boil, (bubbling slowly) and remove from heat.
- Cool. Pour into prepared pie crusts and bake at 350* for one hour.