Folks, I have the most decadent, stunning dessert recipe for you! This strawberry shortbread stack is absolutely perfect for a Valentine’s Day dessert.
It would be a wonderful party dessert, but probably should be assembled at the party – I don’t think it would travel well. You’ll get lots of compliments on this pretty dessert!
Strawberry Shortbread stack recipe
This recipe has been in my head for many years. I was at a bridal shower for my friend when I was just 18, and the hostess made something similar. I was so impressed! I thought I would for sure go home and make it soon.
But I was busy, and soon got married… and somehow the years slipped by without me ever trying it.
I looked for the recipe online but no luck. So, I finally decided to create my own version!
I want to thank my friend who made that fabulous dessert so many years ago. It has been in my head for 20 years, so you know it made an impression! Over the years, I have lost track of my friend Beth, but I will never forget her lovely party with the strawberry dessert.
Now, this strawberry shortbread stack will take a little more time to prepare. But it will be worth it! And it’s really not that difficult – just takes a little time to prepare all the components.
How to prepare the shortbread
First, you mix up the shortbread dough, and bake it. Be sure to prick it with a fork so it doesn’t bubble up.
Roll it into large rounds, and bake it for 15-20 minutes. The shortbread rounds don’t need to be perfectly round. Rustic is totally ok!
Next, you beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla and set aside.
Then, prepare the strawberries. Wash and slice them. Mix with a couple tablespoons of white sugar, and give them a good stir.
Assemble the strawberry shortbread stack
After the shortbread is completely cooled, place one shortbread round on a plate. Spread 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture on top.
Place 1/3 of the strawberries on top of the cream layer.
Repeat shortbread, cream, and strawberry layers two more times. Top with whipped cream. You may have extra whipped cream; just serve this on the side for anyone who wants extra!
Using a sharp serrated knife, cut into 10 pieces. Chill leftovers in refrigerator.
Strawberry Shortbread Stack
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 lb strawberries, sliced
- 2 TBL granulated sugar
- Cream Cheese Layer:
- 2 pkg cream cheese (16 oz total)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 TBL powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Wash and slice strawberries. Add 2 TBL sugar and stir. Set aside.
- Mix butter, brown sugar, and flour together.
- Divide dough into 3 equal parts, and roll each part into a 7 inch diameter circle.
- Place the shortbread rounds on a baking sheet. Prick each crust with a fork. Bake 15-20 min, or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Place cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, and 2 tsp vanilla in a mixing bowl and beat well.
- When shortbread is completely cool, place one round on a flat plate or dessert tray. Spread 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture on it. Place 1/3 of the strawberries on top of the cream cheese layer. Repeat 2x with remaining ingredients.
- Place heavy cream, 3 TBL powdered sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla in a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer and the whisk attachment, whip the cream till soft peaks form. Spread on top of dessert. Garnish wth reserved strawberries if desired.