These simple Banana Carrot Muffins are a great way to use up over-ripe bananas and sneak in a few veggies, too.
How to make Banana Carrot Muffins
In a mixing bowl, place the sugar, oil, and eggs. Beat with electric mixer till smooth.
Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix again till smooth. Add the vanilla and bananas.
Want to know my secret to faster banana bread? I just add bananas whole – I don’t mash them first. If you are using a wire whisk to mix your batter, you will want to mash the bananas first. But if you are using an electric mixer, it will mash them up just fine!
Mix the muffin batter well, then scoop the mixture into muffin tins that have been sprayed with cooking spray. Fill tins about 2/3 full.
This batch makes about 15 muffins. If you use large muffin pans, it will make fewer, and if you use mini-muffin pans it will make more.
Bake the muffins at 350° for 13-15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean.
Tips for carrots in muffins
I just shredded up a couple of raw carrots to use. But you can also use carrot baby food that your baby doesn’t want. Just use 1 cup of carrot puree instead of 2 cups of shredded carrots.
You may also use leftover cooked carrots from dinner, just blend them in the blender or food processor first.
Carrots that are a bit wrinkly or soft work just fine.
How to store banana-carrot muffins
I just store them in an airtight container on the counter for several days. They will keep fresh longer if stored in the fridge, just pop them into the microwave for a minute to warm and soften. You may also freeze them for later (or for lunchboxes!).
Banana Carrot Muffins
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups carrots shredded
- 2 bananas mashed
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray 2 miffins tin pans and set aside.
- Shred enough carrots to make 2 cups, about 3 large carrots.
- Mix oil, eggs, and sugar in a bowl. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add banans and vanilla and use an electric mixer to mix well, mashing the bananas as you go. (if you don't have an elelctric mixer, you will need to mash the bananas first.)
- Add carrots and stir. Spoon into muffin tins, filling each one about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 for 13-15 minutes. (longer for large muffins, less for mini-muffins)