This ham and potato soup is delicious, warming food for chilly fall days. Ham gives it a rich flavor, and chunks of potato makes it very filling. It is an easy and tasty pantry meal.
Today is a very chilly, drizzly day. Thermometer reads 32 degrees, but with the sleet/freezing rain – it feels much colder than that! The Wyoming wind drives the cold into your bones…
To help combat the frigid temps, I stirred up a pot of ham and potato soup for lunch. When I was a new bride, my cousin made this soup for me one day and I was hooked. I have made it quite often since then. It is a perfect comfort food for these cold fall days.
What ham to use
You can use whatever type of ham you have available for this soup. I like to buy the small boneless ham quarters and dice them up. You can use leftover ham from Easter dinner, or even just thick-sliced ham, cut in pieces. I like pieces about 1/2 inch.
Then, peel and dice 3 large potatoes. About 3/4-inch chunks. Dice up 1/2 of an onion, and 3 garlic cloves. Set aside for now.
Fry the ham
Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and ham and stir occasionally until the ham is slightly browned and the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds or so, just to heat it up and start it cooking.
Cook the potatoes
Add the potatoes and water. Simmer on low for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Add the milk and the seasonings.
Thicken with flour mixture
Place the 1/4 cup cold water and the flour into a small dish and stir briskly with a spoon till well-mixed. Slowly pour the flour mixture into the soup, while stirring the soup constantly. Tip: make sure you use cold water so it doesn’t get sticky.
Tips for substitutions
- If you don’t have ham – just leave it out and it becomes potato soup. (Or substitute bacon for the ham)
- If you have some cheddar cheese on hand, it adds a delightful richness, just stir in sone cheese at the end.
- If you are dairy-free, just use water or plain almond milk instead of cow’s milk.
Ham and potato soup
- 1 TBLS Butter
- 1/2 Onion diced
- 1 cup Ham cubed
- 3 large Potatoes cubed
- 3 cloves Garlic diced or pressed
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 tsp. Seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 3 TBLS Flour
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese optional
- Saute ham and onion in butter for 5 minutes or till onions are translucent. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds.
- Cube potatoes, add to saucepan. Add water to pan and simmer 20 minutes or till potatoes are fork-tender.
- Add milk and spices to pan.
- Mix flour and water in a small dish, stirring briskly till smooth. Add slowly to saucepan, stirring soup as you add the flour mixture. Simmer soup till it is bubbly and thick. Add cheese if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!