This Easy Crockpot Black Bear Stew is a delicious way to eat some of that bear meat that is in your freezer! I love the thick, rich gravy that this recipe creates. The meat is so tender and delicious – I enjoy bear meat in stew so much! I think it is similar to beef in texture. This is a very satisfying, hearty meal that is also healthy and easy!
How to Make Crockpot Bear Stew
Browning the meat
First, cube some bear meat (I used a bear roast that was thawed) into small bite-sized pieces. I like them slightly less than one-inch cubes.
Next, mix the flour and seasonings in a gallon ziplock bag. Add bear meat cubes and shake well until pieces are coated. Add oil to a skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Carefully add meat and fry about 1-2 minuets per side, until the meat is browned.
Mixing ingredients in crockpot
When the meat is all browned, place it in the crockpot. Add the potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onions, and tomato juice. Fill the empty tomato sauce can two times with water and pour it into the stew. Add salt, pepper, Worchesteshire and bouillion cubes. Stir together and cover with the lid. Cook on low for 6 hours.
What to serve with bear stew
I think there’s nothing better with stew than a chunk of hot cornbread with butter melting into it!
I was going to take photos of the stew in bowls, but we ate it so fast that I forgot! haha! This will be a regular recipe in my rotation for using up bear meat, that’s for sure.
Crockpot Bear Stew
- 1 lb bear meat cubed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil or bacon fat
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme dried
- 1 teaspoon rosemary dried
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne optional
- 4 potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups carrots diced
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 onions diced
- 2 cans tomato sauce 15 oz each
- 2 cans water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 Tablespoons worchestershire
- Place flour mixture ingredients into a gallon ziploc bag and shake to mix. Add cubed meat to flour mixture and shake and roll till all pieces are coated.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. When hot, carefully add flour-coated meat pieces and fry 1-2 minutes per side.
- Place browned meat pieces in the crockpot. Add the potatoes, onions, carrots, and mushrooms.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, bouillon cubes, tomato sauce, and water. Stir together.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.