If you want a delicious, healthy breakfast, you need to try this homemade granola recipe. It is a great alternative to store-boughten cereal, thanks to the whole grains, healthy fats, and antioxidants.
No preservatives, no dyes, and you control the sugar and fat. SO much better than commercial cereal! You can easily adjust it to your preferences.
My mom made this when I was a kid. She would sweeten it with honey from our bees, and brown sugar too! Then we’d spoon sliced strawberries over top. It was quite sweet, but so good!
I have modified it to decrease the sugar quite a bit. I figure you can add a spoonful of sugar if you want it sweeter, but really, this is plenty sweet for me.
How to make homemade granola
It’s so, so easy to make! Just place all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl (except the dried fruit), then stir the water, sugar, and melted butter together. Pour the butter mixture over the dry ingredients, and stir very well.
Spread in two large baking sheets and bake for 20-30 minutes. When it is finished baking, stir in the dried fruit. Cool completely and store in a tightly covered container for 2 weeks, or in large Ziploc bags in the freezer.
Ways to serve the granola
I love to serve with a generous dollop of plain yogurt, and some fresh berries. The butter gives it such a delicious flavor!
My family prefers just milk. Either way, this homemade granola recipe will fill you up with tasty, whole grain goodness.
You could also use it as a base for homemade granola bars!
Tips for customizing the recipe
- Swap out walnuts for pecans or sliced almonds.
- Exchange sugar for honey or coconut sugar. Or just omit the sugar completely, if you prefer.
- Use raisins or dried blueberries or cherries instead of craisins.
- Use quick oats instead of rolled oats.
- Use olive oil or coconut oil instead of butter.
I hope you enjoy this homemade granola recipe. If you try it, let me know how you like it! Share on Pinterest or Facebook!
- 10 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1⅓ cup craisins (6 oz bag)
- 1 TBL cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt opt
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place oats, walnuts, coconut, cinnamon, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir well.
- Stir together melted butter, hot water, and brown sugar together in a small bowl. Pour over dry ingredients and stir very well.
- Spread on two baking sheets and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Stir craisins into granola. Cool completely. Store in airtight container for up to two weeks, or in a ziploc bag in freezer.