Chocolate pudding cake has always been a favorite of mine. Soft, gooey cake, covered with rich chocolate sauce, topped with a generous serving of ice cream… yum. It is a great fall or winter dessert, but really, I make it all year long and no one complains. 😉
My Mom grew up on a farm and she liked to pour cream or milk over her cake. I remember when I was about 4 years old, and thought I wanted to try that. So, I convinced Mom to pour milk over my chocolate cake, just like she did. That was the last time I tried that! Haha! I do like milk poured over some things – just not cake.
Making Chocolate pudding cake
First, mix the batter and spread it in a 9×9 pan. It will be thick.
Next, mix the dry ingredients and sprinkle it over the batter. Finally, pour boiling water over everything, and bake it.
As it bakes, it will mysteriously turn into a delicious cake with gooey chocolate sauce on the bottom! Add a dollop of ice cream and you will have a bowl of delicious, chocolatey goodness.
Oh man! This dessert is so good! My family eats it right up whenever I make it.
Chocolate Pudding Cake Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup hot water
- 4 Tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, 2 Tablespoons cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- With a spatula, stir in the milk, oil, and vanilla until smooth. It will be stiff.
- Spread in ungreased 9x9 pan.
- Combine brown sugar and 4 tablespoons cocoa and sprinkle over batter.
- Pour hot water over all; do not stir.
- Bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
I hope you enjoy this old-fashioned chocolate pudding cake! It really is quite simple to make, and everyone loves it. It is good cold, too, but it does thicken up a bit.
Leave a Reply