Dairy free vanilla pudding is not hard to make at home. This recipe is so easy, you will find yourself making it over and over! It is a small recipe, perfect for two people. I use almond milk, but I think oat or coconut milk should work ok too. The almond milk and the vanilla gave this DF pudding a slightly tan color, but it is so good that no one cares.
How to make dairy free vanilla pudding
First, add all ingredients except the vanilla to a blender and pulse till smooth – about 30 seconds. Next, pour mixture into a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir almost constantly… I like to use a whisk to keep the pudding smooth. When it starts to thicken and bubble, stir constantly for about 1 minute. It will burn easily at this point, so keep stirring!
When the pudding has cooked for 1 minute, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Press a piece of plastic wrap (or parchment paper) over the top of the hot pudding. This will prevent a ‘skin’ from forming while the pudding cools. (Some folks enjoy a pudding skin, but not me, haha!) Cool to room temperature on the counter, then chill completely in the fridge.
How to serve dairy free vanilla pudding
Layer with berries, crushed cookies, and whipped coconut cream for a delicious parfait dessert.
Use it to make Quick Peanut Butter pie, using a dairy-free crust option.
Eat it plain or with fresh berries!
Dairy free Vanilla Pudding recipe
- 2 cups almond milk plain or vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place all ingredients into blender EXCEPT vanilla. Pulse till smooth - about 30 seconds.
- Pour mixture into pan and warm over medium-high heat.
- Whisk almost constantly until mixture starts to boil. This should take about 4-5 minutes. When pudding begins to bubble, stir constantly. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Cool till room temperature on counter, then chill completely in the fridge.