Ground elk turns this cheesy dip into a hearty snack. You can use any type of venison for this appetizer; deer, antelope, or moose.
How to make Elk Queso
Brown the ground elk meat in a frying pan. Add the onion to the pan and jalapeños, if using.
Next, pour the tomatoes, chiles, cheese, and seasonings into a crockpot. Add browned meat mixture.
Finally, stir the mixture well and turn the crockpot to HIGH. Stir well every 15 minutes. If you prefer, you can set the crockpot to LOW, but it will still need stirred every 30 minutes, or so.
How to serve elk queso dip
I like to serve this with plain corn chips or pita chips. The little scoops chips are so nice to use, you can get plenty of that healthy elk meat on each bite! You can also use veggie strips for a low carb option.
What to do with leftover queso
If you should happen to have any leftover, stir in a couple of cans of beans – any kind! Refried, black, red, pinto… then spoon into tortillas and wrap into burritos. These can be frozen or refrigerated for a quick meal.
Is elk cheese dip spicy?
I make this recipe mild for my young children. But for myself, I definitely want some heat! You can add some jalapeños or cayenne to kick it up a notch!
Easy Elk Queso
- 1 lb ground elk
- 1 onion diced
- 1 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 2 4 oz diced green chiles 2 small cans
- 2 Jalapeños diced
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 lb Velveeta cubed
- 4 oz cream cheese
- Dice the onion (and jalapeño if using). Set aside.
- Place the ground elk meat into a frying pan, add the onion and peppers. Fry till meat is browned.
- Place meat mixture into crockpot. Add cream cheese, velveeta, tomatoes, chiles, ranch dressing mix and taco seasoning mix. Stir well.
- Set crockpot to HIGH for one hour. Stir every 15 minutes. OR: turn to LOW for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Serve with chips or veggie strips.