Elk stuffed peppers are a delicious way to get some extra veggies in, as well as lots of lean protein. I like to add some rice as filler, but you could leave the rice out for a low-carb meal.
How to make Elk Stuffed Peppers
Start by washing the peppers, then cut off the tops and scoop out the seeds. Place the peppers into a baking dish and cover with foil. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.
While the peppers are baking, brown the ground elk meat in a pan with onions and garlic. When the meat is browned, add the salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and cooked rice.
Stir well and spoon into the peppers. Place stuffed peppers back into baking dish.
Next, mix tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, cayenne, and salt. Spoon the sauce over and around the peppers. Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Uncover, divide cheese evenly between peppers and bake for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
Elk Stuffed Peppers
- 6 green peppers
- 1 lb ground elk
- ½ cup onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup rice cooked
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wash peppers. Cut off the tops of the peppers, scoop out seeds and discard seeds and tops. Place peppers in a baking dish and cover with foil. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Set aside for later.
- Brown the ground elk, onions, and garlic together in a frying pan.
- When meat is browned, add rice, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Stir together and fill the peppers.
- Mix sauce ingredients together and spoon over filled peppers.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and top each pepper with ¼ cup of cheese. Bake for about 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.