This delicious strawberry shortcake recipe uses an easy pound cake for the base. It is the easiest pound cake recipe ever! I mean, the pound cake takes 5 ingredients and about 25 minutes to bake. Then top the warm cake with sweetened strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream, and you have the most wonderful summery strawberry dessert!
How to make strawberry shortcake
Preheat the oven and make the pound cake. Place all ingredients into a bowl and whisk till smooth. Pour into a greased 8×8 cake pan (or a round layer pan) and bake for 25 minutes. Cool.
Prepare the berries. Hull and wash the berries, then slice. Mix with sugar and set aside till juice forms.
Whip the heavy cream, unless you use store-boughten whipped cream. I often use prepared cool whip to save time on a busy day. You want to use an electric mixer for this part. You can use a whisk, but that takes a long time! Use the whisk attachment for your mixer, and it will go fast. (if you use the regular beaters, the cream will splash everywhere!)
Place a piece of pound cake on a plate, spoon a generous amount of strawberries over the cake. Top with a large dollop of whipped cream.
This is a great dessert to take to spring branding. Bake the cake the day prior, and use prepared whipped cream, and the berries can be prepped early, too. Then just set it out and let the cowboys fix their plate. This easy strawberry shortcake recipe is a pleasantly cool dessert after a hot day by the fire.
Branding meal tip: Always make extra dessert for the crew – they always take bigger portions because they are so hungry!
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place all cake ingredients into a bowl. Whisk well.
- Bake pound cake at 350 for 25 minmutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs sticking to it. Cool.
- Hull, wash, and slice strawberries. Stir in sugar. Let set till juice forms and sugar dissolves.
- Whip cream with electric mixer until it starts to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla, whip till soft peaks form.
- Place a piece of cake on a dessert plate. Spoon a generous amount of strawberries over the top. Place a large spoonful of whipped cream on top.