This Instant Pot pulled BBQ chicken is an easy, no-fuss way to get a meal on the table. It takes about 15 minutes to bring the Instant Pot to pressure, then 35 minutes to cook and release pressure.
Dinner in under an hour – with very minimal prep. Kids love the mild BBQ chicken flavor, and the leftovers reheat well. You can also use this recipe to make these very popular BBQ Chicken Cups! The kids LOVE them!
How to make Instant Pot pulled BBQ chicken
- Place trivet in the Instant Pot.
- Place fresh or frozen chicken breast on the trivet.
- Add chicken broth, then pour BBQ sauce over chicken.
- Sprinkle with onion.
- Seal lid and close pressure valve.
- Set manual time to 10 minutes for fresh chicken, 15 minutes for frozen chicken.
(If you live at high altitude, all cooking times take longer. I live at 7,200 ft elevation, and I add 5 minutes on to all Instant Pot recipes.)
List of ingredients for BBQ pulled chicken
This only takes four ingredients;
- chicken breast
- chicken broth
- BBQ sauce
Chicken thighs may be substituted for the breast meat, if desired. You can use chicken stock or broth – or even water. Use your favorite BBQ sauce, to make this sandwich burst with flavor! You can also use this Instant Pot pulled bbq chicken to pile on top of baked potatoes, along with cheese and sour cream.
Can I use thawed chicken?
Yes! You can absolutely use fresh chicken. Just reduce cooking time to 10 minutes pressure, then natural release for 10 minutes, then quick release.
Can I freeze bbq pulled chicken?
Yes! It freezes quite well. Thaw by placing in fridge for a day, or placing in microwave till thawed, stirring frequently.
If you freeze it in a round dish, you can reheat the pulled chicken in the Instant Pot. Just set pressure to 5 minutes. When time is up, let natural release for 10 minutes, then quick release.
More Instant Pot recipes:
Chicken Broth in the Instant Pot
Instant Pot Pulled BBQ Chicken
- 5 lbs chicken breast frozen
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup barbeque sauce
- Remove wrapper from frozen chicken, run under cold water to loosen if necesary.
- Place chicken pieces on trivet in Instant Pot.
- Pour BBQ sauce and broth over chicken, Sprinkle with onion.
- Seal lid and set to 25 minutes pressure. When time is up, allow to natural release for 10 minutes, then quick release.
- Shred chicken with two forks, and stir into juices. Serve on rolls.