These old-fashioned lemon bars have been a staple in our house for many years. My husband just loves anything lemon-flavored, so I make these for a treat for him. Of course, we all enjoy them!
The buttery, shortbread crust compliments the creamy lemon filling, and I especially like the chewy edges. A dusting of powdered sugar tops off this luscious citrus dessert!
How to make lemon bars
First, cut the butter into the flour and powdered sugar mix, using a pastry blender. (if you don’t have a pastry blender, use your fingers)
Next, pat the crust into a 9×13 baking pan. The mixture will be quite dry, but go ahead and pat it in, and when it bakes the butter will mix with the dry ingredients and make a lovely, flaky crust.
Make the lemon filling
While the shortbread crust is baking, mix up the filling. Place eggs, lemon juice, sugar, flour, and baking powder in a mixing bowl and beat well with electric mixer. You may also use a wire whisk.
Bake the crust 15 minutes, then remove from oven and pour the filling onto the hot crust. Place back into the oven and continue baking for 20 minutes.
Remove lemon bars from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar while hot. Cool completely.
Can I freeze lemon bars? Yes, I like to cut them into squares and wrap in plastic wrap. They are easy to pop into a lunch or to portion control for meal planning.
Can I use bottled lemon juice? Yes, absolutely. Fresh lemon juice is wonderful but sometimes I want a treat and I don’t have time to go buy some lemons. Bottled lemon juice works just fine!
Old-fashioned Lemon Bars
- 2 cups flour all-purpose
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar divided
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar granulated
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup flour all-purpose
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons powdered sugar for dusting later. Place 2 cups flour, butter, and powdered sugar into a mixing bowl. Cut butter into dry ingredients with a pastry blender.
- Pat crust into 9x13 pan. Crust will seem dry but it will bake up nicely. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While crust is baking, place eggs, sugar, ¼ cup flour, lemon juice, and baking powder into a bowl and mix well with wire whisk or electric mixer.
- When crust is finished, remove from oven and pour the filling onto the crust. Return to oven and bake for 20 minutes longer.
- After lemon bars are finished baking, sprinkle with reserved powdered sugar while bars are still hot. Cool completely.