Braised elk shanks are so delicious and easy! No more deboning and grinding this tough cut – this oven-braised recipe will be a favorite! This can be made in the oven or in a slow cooker, depending whether you will be gone or at home. The family enjoyed this recipe and the kids complimented me on it, which should tell you all you need to know, haha!
How to make braised elk shanks
Prep your veggies
First, peel and slice the carrots, wash and slice the celery, peel and slice the onions. Feel free to throw some garlic in there as well!
Sear the meat
Next, heat your dutch oven on med-high heat, and add the bacon fat (or oil). Add the shanks and sear well on all sides. When meat is browned, remove meat to a plate and set aside for a bit. Add veggies to pan and sauce for a few minutes till slightly soft. Return meat to pan, add remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil.
Braise till soft
Remove from heat, cover with lid, and place in oven for 2-3 hours, or until meat is tender. This will depend on how big your chunks of meat are, etc. But I baked mine for 3 hours, and could have probably left it in another 30 minutes without drying it out.
What to serve with elk shanks
My family loves these old-fashioned scalloped potatoes. I made baked macaroni & cheese and it was amazing. Add a veggie or salad and you are good to go. Some homemade French bread would hit the spot, too!
Braised Elk Shanks
- 3 lb elk shank about all the shank meat off one elk leg.
- 2 Tablespoons bacon fat or olive oil
- 2 small onions chopped
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat bacon fat (or oil) in a heavy, oven-proof kettle or dutch oven. Add meat and sear well on each side. Remove meat from kettle and place on a plate for later.
- Add vegetables to the same kettle, sauté for 2-3 minutes. Place meat back into the kettle with the veggies. Add remaining ingredient and stir.
- Cover with lid or foil, and place in oven. Braise at 300° for 3 hours, or until meat is tender.
- If using a crockpot, cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.