There is no side dish I like better than a delicious broccoli and cauliflower salad! Cool, creamy, tangy – it’s perfect paired with roast beef, ham, or chicken. I make it often when I am feeding the cowboy crew, and I make it every year for Christmas. It takes a bit of time to chop and dice, but it’s really not that difficult to put together.
Buy chopped vegetables to save time
If you don’t mind large broccoli and cauliflower pieces, you can save a lot of time buying the pre-chopped bags of vegetables. Personally, I like the vegetables chopped smaller, so I chop my own. But it is an option. You can usually buy prepared fresh broccoli and cauliflower in the produce section at your grocery store.
They sell diced onion and fully cooked bacon as well. But I prefer freshly cooked bacon and freshly chopped veggies! I enjoy the process, even though it makes a bit of a mess. 🙂
Use what you have on hand
You can change it up a bit, depending what ingredients you have on hand. Use all broccoli, or whatever ratio you prefer. It doesn’t have to be half broccoli and half cauliflower. You can use red or yellow onion, again – whichever you have on hand.
Number one rule of a versatile home cook is to learn to substitute and make do with what you have in your pantry! Especially when you are on a budget – don’t go buy a block of cheddar when you have Colby in your fridge. Just use what you have. 🙂
How to assemble broccoli and cauliflower salad
- Fry your bacon, allow to drain and cool while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Mix up your sugar and mayo next, so it can sit while you chop veggies. That gives the sugar time to dissolve.
- Chop your broccoli and cauliflower. I like pretty small pieces, so it’s easier to eat and holds more dressing.
- Chop your onion, or cut into strips, as desired.
- Cut bacon into small pieces.
- Add vinegar to dressing, mix well. Taste. At first, you may not be used to tasting dressing alone, and not know what it should taste like! But do this every time and eventually, you will start to recognize if it needs more sugar or more vinegar. Everyone has different tastes, so taste-testing is a great cooking skill to develop.
- Toss all vegetables, bacon, and cheese together. Pour dressing on top and stir well. Refrigerate for 1 hour, then can be stored up to 12 hours. Serve chilled.
Delicious Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1/2 lb bacon fried, cooled, and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 red onion diced or cut into strips
- 1 cup Miracle Whip or mayo
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 TBL vinegar
- Chop all vegetables.
- Fry and crumble bacon.
- Mix dressing; allow to stand for 5 minutes, then stir again.
- Toss all vegetables and cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour dressing over salad, mix well.
- Chill an hour.
- Store in fridge for up to 12 hrs.