This tender, classic recipe for poor man’s steak is the perfect comfort food. Pour the creamy gravy over a mound of fluffy mashed potatoes, and add a crisp salad on the side. It is one of my husband’s favorite meals!
Make the ground beef mixture
Place the eggs, oatmeal, and spices into a large bowl. Stir it together well. Add the ground beef, breaking it up as you add it. Stir the meat and egg mixture together gently.
Try not to over-mix, because over-mixing will make it tough. I use my hands to mix, it seems to work best.
Form into patties
Divide the meat mixture in half, then divide each half into 8 equal parts. Form each part into a thick patty. Place all patties on a plate.
Brown the beef patties
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the flour into a bowl. Roll each patty in the flour, then place gently into the hot oil.
Brown on each side for about a minute. You want a nice brown crust but don’t cook it all the way through. It will finish cooking in the oven. You may have to fry in batches.
As the patties are browned, place them into a 9×13 baking pan or large casserole dish.
Make the gravy
In a mixing bowl, pour two cans of cream of mushroom soup. Fill each can with milk and add to the soup. Whisk together well.
Pour the soup mixture over the patties, and cover pan with foil.
Bake the poor man’s steak
Bake, covered, at 350 for 1 hour. Serve with potatoes or pasta, to soak up all the delicious gravy!
- You can substitute crushed saltine crackers or bread crumbs for the oatmeal.
- Venison works great in this recipe as well. Add 1 chopped onion and 4 cloves diced garlic with wild game.
- You can substitute water for milk.
Poor Man's Steak
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups quick oatmeal
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 TBL Worchestershire
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cans milk
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup oil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place eggs, oatmeal, ketchup, worchestershire sauce, salt, nutmeg, and pepper into a bowl and stir well. Add meat and gently mix together.
- Heat oil in a pan over med-high heat. Divide meat into 16 portions, form into thick patties. Roll patties in flour and brown well on each side. Place meat patties into a 9x13 pan.
- Pour soup into a large bowl. Fill the cans with milk, and add to the soup. Whisk together. Pour soup mixture over the meat patties and cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour.