This classic cherry delight recipe starts with a simple graham cracker crust, then it’s topped with a cream cheese and cool whip cheesecake layer, and covered with cherry pie filling. It does not require an oven or stovetop – just a mixing bowl and 9×13 pan, and refrigerator.
This cherry dessert is simple to prepare, easy to transport, and can be made ahead of time. The bright red cherries make it a pretty holiday dessert, especially for Christmas or Valentine’s Day.
How to prepare cherry delight dessert
Crush 2 sleeves of graham crackers — I like to put them in my food processor, but you can also put them in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to crush them. Add 3/4 cup of softened butter to the cracker crumbs. Mix with a fork, or use your fingers. When the butter is mixed in, press the crumbs into a 9×13 pan. Set in the fridge to chill.
While the crust is chilling, put two 8 oz packages of cream cheese into a bowl and soften in the microwave for a little bit. (or just set them on the counter ahead of time to soften – this will take about an hour.) Once the cream cheese is soft, beat it with electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar and beat again. Add one cup of the cool whip, mix in briefly, then add another cupful – mix – then add the rest.
Spread the cheesecake filling carefully over the graham cracker crust. Then pour two cans of cherry pie filling over the top. Chill completely.
This recipe will keep for several days, although it just doesn’t last long around here! It is an excellent dessert to make ahead for a branding, processing, or to take to the field if you’re farming.
Cherry Delight Recipe
- 2 pkgs graham crackers crushed, about 18 whole crackers
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 2 8-oz pkg cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz cool whip
- 2 15-oz cans cherry pie filling
- Finely crush graham crackers. Mix with softened butter. Press in 9x13 pan and chill while making the filling.
- Place softened cream cheese in mixing bowl, beat till smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar and beat again. Add Cool Whip, one cupful at a time. Mix well.
- Carefully spread cheesecake filling over the graham crust. Pour two cans of cherry pie filling over top. Chill 1 hour for a firm crust, or serve immmediatey.
Janis Little says
My husband & son in law loved this dessert!! It did not last very long !
It is delicious, great summer dessert , ( really any time )
Turned out great. Ended up only using 1 22oz can of pie cherries which is plenty for me since the store didn’t carry 15oz cans.
Kay Schrock says
I’m glad! I actually like it with only one can of cherries!