Fluffy coffee buttercream frosting is so decadent when piled on a rich chocolate cake! This coffee frosting recipe has plenty of coffee flavor, in a buttery richness that will make you swoon.
The recipe makes enough frosting for a two-layer 9 inch cake. Or halve it for a 9×13 cake in the pan.
I don’t know about you, but I am often too busy to mess with a layer cake, haha! I just make a 9×13, and leave it in the pan to frost and serve. So much faster and still tastes great!
How to make coffee buttercream
- Place coffee granules in a small dish. Add the hot water and stir.
- Whip the butter till fluffy.
- Add coffee mixture, cream, and powdered sugar.
- Beat till fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Frost the cake or cupcakes.
Ingredients needed for frosting
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy cream
- Instant coffee granules
- Hot water
Uses for coffee frosting
As I mentioned earlier, I love this on a rich chocolate cake. But it would be wonderful on cupcakes, or on a spice cake.
You could use it as luscious filling in chocolate whoopie pies, or piped into cannolis.
You just can’t go wrong with this frosting slathered over something rich and sweet.
Coffee Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 Tablespoons hot water
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Dissolve coffee in hot water.
- Beat butter for one minute.
- Add cream, coffee mixture, and powdered sugar. Beat for 1 minute.
- Stop mixer, scrape down sides of bowl, and beat again for another minute.
- Spread on cake or cupcakes.